I love creating and, of course, eating summer salads. As tomato season begins, I have a couple recipes that will be perfect for any summer gathering. These salads are healthy and gluten free!
Summer Caprese Salad
- 3 vine-ripe tomatoes
- 1 brick or fresh mozzarella cheese (I saved myself $3 and got the cheaper stuff)
- 20-25 leaves of fresh sweet basil (you can get this in the produce section or local farmers market)
- 1/2 TBSP extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp balsamic vinegar
- Salt to taste or sea salt
Thinly slice the tomatoes and layer on a serving plate or tray. Slice the mozzarella cheese and tuck in between the tomato slices. Wash and rinse the basil leaves and layer in between the tomato. Sprinkle the salt liberally over the salad. Use your thumb to cover the olive oil tip, but leave enough space to allow a little to splash on the salad. You don’t want a lot of oil, just a very light coating. Apply the same technique to the balsamic vinegar, but use even less than the oil.
Remember – less is more. The purpose of the salad is to taste the vegetables, not the “dressing”.
The salad is easiest to serve if layered in rows on a tray. Use a serving fork for guests. Serve and enjoy the delicious taste of summer on a plate. Yum!
Cucumber and Tomato Summer Salad
- 1 seedless cucumber or 4 mini seedless cucumbers
- 1 package of cherry tomatoes or 2 vine-ripe tomatoes
- 1/4 sweet vidalia onion
- 2 TBSP of Italian dressing (personally, I use Ken’s Steak House – Lite Northern Italian)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Optional: 1 TBSP of fresh basil OR cilantro
Thinly slice the cucumber. Cut the cherry tomatoes into quarters – you can also use grape tomato or whatever you have on hand. The onion can be thinly sliced or roughly chopped. Roughly chop the basil or cilantro and add to a salad bowl – either herb will add a bright, vibrant taste to the salad. Start by adding a small amount of Italian dressing, then add salt and pepper. Mix thoroughly and taste. Add more seasoning or dressing if needed.
I hope that you enjoy these recipes! Have a safe and fun summer. God bless!
Find me on Facebook for more updates!
Copyright 2013 Words By Mara. All rights reserved.